Motor

Porsche that inherits the tradition of the sky

The first German mass-produced machine after the Second World War, the “Puzzer Elster B”, was restored by the Porsche Museum on a large scale. ing. The reason why Porsche has such a deep connection is because Porsche aircraft engine type 678 was tested on this model in the late 1950s.
In this way, the Porsche Museum inherits not only the ground but also the tradition of the sky. After three years of restoration, more than 1000 hours led by Jürgen Gassebner, the owner and project manager. The focus was on completely overhauling the aircraft, especially repairing the original parts as much as possible and minimizing new parts. In this way, “Putzer Elster B” regained its original brilliance.

Like the engine, an electronic device known as “avionics” was also replaced. The wooden interior of the cabin was also completely restored, and the airframes, ie wings and fuselage, were overhauled by specialists. Designed by Stuttgart's renowned designer Wolfgang Seidl, it is painted in traditional Porsche colors in red, white and gray, worn by Porsche historic racing cars of the 1950s and 1960s. Is given. The wings and fuselage are decorated with the Porsche Museum logo.
 
The classic plane, designed by Alphonse Putzer in 1957, was initially deployed in the German Air Force and German Army Air Sports Force. Only a few of them are privately owned. It was acclaimed by both military and flying club pilots as a high-wing aircraft with easy-to-use aerodynamic characteristics and was used for basic training and glider towing. Familiarized with the nickname of "Elster", today 15 existing aircraft are registered with the Federal Aviation Administration and have permission to fly [Elster B = 10, Elster C = 5].

Those familiar with Elster describe it as the best “three-handed” airplane in the world. Unlike other aircraft, it does not have a nose gear operated by a side ladder pedal and a foot pedal operated by two drum brakes of the main undercarriage. Instead, the pilot sitting in the center and heading towards the instrument panel turns the nose wheel directly like a ship's handle using a huge lever. Pulling this lever to the left turns the aircraft to the right, and there is another brake lever on the side of the bulkhead between the pilot and the crew. Even just going to the runway required considerable skill.
 
“Elster B” registered in 1963 D-ELKY is also closely related to Porsche. Since 1957, Porsche aircraft engines, Type 678/3, have been tested on this model. This horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine was developed based on the Porsche 356 engine. The ancestor of “Elster” was Doppel Raab, and Alphonse Pützer developed a glider with an engine called Motor Torrab together with Fritz Raab.

Later, Dopplerlab wings were adopted for the Elster A prototype. Initially it was planned to be a completely German aircraft, and already had a Type 678/3 Porsche engine generating 52PS [38 kW]. To meet the need for improved flight performance, the Elster B was later equipped with a 95 PS [70 kW] Rolls-Royce Continental engine type C-90 14 F. Already at that time, Porsche had installed an effective silencer on the engine to deal with the noise problem.

The history that Porsche founder Ferdinand Porsche had successfully developed not only automobile engines but also aircraft engines more than 100 years ago should be inherited.


Source link

Do you like this article??

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close