Motor

The rarest Lamborghini classic model? The disappointing thing that I learned on the test ride

The silhouette is the rarest of the classic Lamborghini models. Marc Dixon, Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Octane in the UK, took a test ride on a fantastic car and came to the conclusion that various facts would not be a shame.

I was running through my dream. The view was strangely clear, the colors so brilliant, and the time seemed to stop. You won't be able to forget that feeling of running while floating in it. The speedometer is going to point at 270km / h. Two more golden Lamborghini going ahead have begun to slide the body. "

One of the most famous drive stories started with this kind of writing. Soon after the dawn of 1977, journalist Mel Nichols sent three new Lamborghini cars, the Countach and the Sea Urchin, and a silhouette from Sant'Agata Bolognese to London, summarizing the story. Once published in the magazine Car, his passionate and poetic style immediately attracted enthusiasts of the world.

Nevertheless, the fact that such a well-known automobile article features the least-known of the many Lamborghini models is a bit of history. The silhouette, with only 52 and only a few prototypes produced between 1976 and 1979, is the rarest model in Lamborghini history [except for today's minority vehicles for billionaires]. As you can see in the picture, it's not just me that it's a shame now that only that was made.

Another unfortunate thing was that this photo was taken not in the Swiss Alps but in Buckinghamshire, but fortunately it was fine and it was Richard Head's shine in "Lame Colorado" The 1977-style silhouette ran smoothly. The metallic paint is the same color used in Bertone's Stratos Zero concept, and this color silhouette is unique in Richard's car. Very rare. Combined with the gold pearl bravo wheel, it emits a striking aura, and even if it becomes a mini car of a match box, it is not strange.

Lamborghini had a big problem when the silhouette first appeared. Labor disputes and radical leftistism, like Italy itself, had caused the company to malfunction. As Mel Nichols wrote steadily, the silhouettes that Car magazine wanted to return to the UK when they arrived in Santa Gata were still painting. The following morning, "the third strike is over and production has finally resumed," he wrote.

In fact, just then, René Reimer, a Swiss businessman with a new co-owner who bought the remaining 49% stake from Ferruccio Lamborghini in 1974, has begun an alliance with BMW, later known as the M1 project. [The remaining 51% had previously acquired Georges Henri Rosetti, a friend of Ferruccio, and Reimer was also a friend of Rosetti]. And all was unsuccessful, and Lamborghini would go bankrupt by 1978.

That said, Lamborghini was still struggling to resurface. We have continued our strategy of increasing sales volume with 2 + 2 small models, which began in 1972 in sea otters, and the silhouette was born in the flow. When Porsche and Ferrari's Targa top models proved successful in the United States [although it was the basis of Lamborghini who planned a further silhouette even though there was already a compact GT called Urakko], the third animal In order to aim for the throat, the silhouette was designed as Targa roof, and the removed roof panel could be stored behind the seat.

The silhouette is therefore based on a slightly improved sea otter chassis. Although the style is completely different from that of the sea otter, the press line was very similar in some places. For example, rear fenders are covered with square over fenders, but they have basically the same knowledge as sea otters.

Like the sea otter, the silhouette stylist is Bertone's Marcello Gandini, and the square fender arch and the «telephone dial» designed deep-dish alloy wheels are all features of Gandini design at the time.

He wanted to make the style more prominent than the Bravo, a concept car designed by Sea Urchin and Gandini in 1974, resulting in a silhouette that was so novel that it could be mistaken for an 80s car. The phone dial wheel for the silhouette or LP400S is sometimes called the blurring wheel because of the similar wheel.]

The Campagnolo wheels are combined with the newly developed Pirel P7 flat wide tires. I recall that of the rear thick tires of Countach, but the earliest LP400 was 215/70 × 14, much smaller than the silhouette 285/40 × 15. The P7 tires, though different in size, will also later be fitted on the BMW M1 jointly developed by Giampaolo Dallara and Lamborghini.

… continue to next time


Source link

Do you like this article??

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button