The Egger Rohner C.2 Phaeton is known as a special vehicle that Ferdinand Porsche, who created Porsche, built in the early days. The car, built in 1898, looks like a carriage at first glance, but is an electric car. And this is the world's first car designed by Porsche.
Ferdinand Porsche, an integral part of automotive history, was born on 3 September 1875 in Maffelsdorf [now Vlatislavice] in North Bohemia. He was born as a third child between the tin craftsman Anton Porsche and his wife Anna. But he was interested in the field of electricity.
In 1893, he went to Vienna and began working as an apprentice at electrical engineering company "Béla Egger & Co." ["Vereinigte Elektrizitäts-AG" since 1896]. The 18-year-old Ferdinand Porsche quickly made a name for himself in the testing department because of his unrivaled talent and solid work ethics.
And if you expand theoretical knowledge in a lecture at a technical university, you can immediately apply that knowledge to practice. With the ambition to be successful, Ferdinand Porsche quickly built his own career, and in just four years, became the “inspection department” leader and first assistant in the planning department. Under these circumstances, wagons were also manufactured in Vienna. Then I met Ludwig Rohner, a person who wanted to build his own electric car.
At that time, the owner of “KK Hofwagenfabrik Jacob Lohner & Comp.” Was interested in various things, and the era of carriages was coming to an end, as his luxury carriages faced sluggish sales. It was judged. As he travels through Europe and the United States, Rohner develops the ability to anticipate changes in the times and seeks to confront these changes by launching innovations in new business areas. He concluded that he needed to build a vehicle that would run on gasoline and electricity.
It was an electric car that Roner expected to sell especially. This is because it has the lowest noise and exhaust odor and is easily accepted by the general public. The electrical equipment to be installed in the vehicle was ordered from “Vereinigten Elektrizitäts-AG”, and the chassis and body were built at the Rohner-owned company in Porzerangasse, Vienna, and at the production site in Florisdorf.
However, with the technology at that time, although it was a vehicle weight of about 2 tons, its power was small and it did not penetrate into people's lives.
This one is now on display at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart, Germany. It is a central part of permanent exhibits and serves as a bridge between the past and the present. This C.2 also has an impact on future Porsche products. In other words, this one, designed by Ferdinand Porsche for the first time, is not only a legacy for Stuttgart-based Porsche, but also stimulates innovative vehicle concepts such as the 918 Spider and the Taikan.